Dennis M Karney
- Professor Emeritus
1654 Naismith Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045
International Business, Organizational Change, and World Class Operations
• Co-designer and Lead Teacher of the Global Research Integrative Project Class, a team taught, 8 credit class focused on a world industry and an area of world. Offered 4 times since 2003. Lead abroad portions to Germany twice on automobiles and China once on light trucks.
• Designed and Lead (2000-6) the MBA study course in France over spring break. Course is jointly delivered with ESC-Clermont with a focus on European Business Practices. A significant team project is included with teams composed of students from both schools with students from 5-15 countries.
• Co-designed and Co-lead the initial MBA summer study tour to China in 2002.
• Designed for Zhongnan University an intensive 4 day EMBA class on World Class Operations. Delivered in summer at multiple sites throughout China since 2004.
• Co-designed and taught (1995-2002, 2006-7 & 2009-11) in the International Week at ESC-Clermont. During week, all students (400+) take an intense class for 4 days taught in a language other than French by a Business professional from a foreign country. Typical class size is 20-30 students with professionals typically from Europe or the Americas.
• Designed (1985-97) and Delivered (through 2003) seven new courses in the area of operations management, quality management and manufacturing strategy. Initially hired to introduce operations management into both graduate and undergraduate curriculum.
• Undergraduate: International Business, International Management, Customer-Focused Operations, and Business, Culture & Society in Europe.
• Graduate: International Business, Managing in a Global Environment, Global Research Integrative Project, Operations Management, and Managing Change.
• Executive: World Class Operations for Executives (in China), and Total Quality Management.
- International business
- World class operations
- Organizational change
Professional & Grant Experience
• Serve as a subject matter expert on East-West cultural differences for the University of Foreign Military and Cultural Studies (UFMCS) at Fort Leavenworth (2011 – present).
• Center for International Business, Education and Research Associate Faculty Director (spring 2002-fall 2006), Co-PI of Title VI grant (fall 2002-summer 2006), and leader of several key curricular and outreach initiatives.
• Significant professional time in France, China, Ukraine & Germany. Developmental time in Russia, Czech Republic, Bulgaria & Turkey.
• Chief consultant to KU Med Center leadership team on improvement and change efforts on both medical campuses (1994-1998).
• Co-designed and delivered with three colleagues various 1-5 day management development classes focused on Total Quality Management. Over 200 seminar days delivered (1988-1996).
• Assisted numerous regional and national organizations in both manufacturing and services with improvement efforts. Designed customized improvement strategies for over a dozen organizations, serving as lead transformational consultant for six of them.