Master of Arts in Russian, East European & Eurasian Studies
The Center awards an interdisciplinary M.A. degree. Requirements for the degree include 30 credit hours distributed as follows:
- Completion of a 6th semester language class, i.e., the second semester of an advance language class
- Three courses, for a total of 9 credit hours, in the department or subject group of the student's special interest; at least two of these courses must be area specific. The five thematic areas are: 1) Literature and the Arts, 2) History, 3) Political Science, 4) Philosophy and Religion, 5) Economics, Business, Geography
- One course in each of the other four subject groupings for a total of 12 credit hours.
- Successful completion of REES 898 and REES 899, an interdisciplinary M.A. seminar (6 credit hours), develops advanced research skills. REES 898, which is normally taken at the beginning of the degree program, emphasizes learning the tools and methods necessary to study this region of the world. In REES 899, students write an interdisciplinary research paper using materials in the student’s chosen target language. Before enrolling in REES 899, the student must have completed an advanced language course in the target language.
- The examination procedure for REES MA students consists of an MA Portfolio, which parts are described here.