Admission Criteria and How to Apply
Most applicants to the REES program have completed an undergraduate major in the social sciences or humanities, but successful REES graduate students have come from other fields. While a student’s GPA and GRE scores are helpful in determining his/her overall academic potential, the department uses a holistic approach toward admissions, looking at all elements of the application packet before making a decision (language preparation, transcripts, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, statement of intent). In the past, the average GPA has been above 3.28 and the GRE scores of successful M.A. applicants have been above-average (verbal, quantitative and analytical).
For priority admission (and to be considered for funding) for FALL semester, please submit all materials by January 1st. It may be possible for students to begin the program off-cycle in the Spring or Summer semesters; please contact us at email@example.com to discuss this option.
- An application form for admission to the Graduate School. Complete the Online Application.
- Payment of the application fee. (Fee updates can be found here. Domestic students $65, international students $85). Payment may be made online by credit card or by electronic check. To pay by mail, please send a check or money order to GAPC.
The online application materials should include:
- The application cover sheet
- A two-page statement of educational and professional objectives
- One original transcript for all post-secondary education. Transcripts should be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to Graduate Admissions, 1450 Jayhawk Blvd., Strong Hall 313, Lawrence KS 66045
- Three letters of recommendation, each accompanied by the Graduate Letter of Recommendation Form
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores. (General test—verbal, quantitative, analytical writing—only). LSAT may be submitted in lieu of GRE scores for those students applying for the joint REES MA/JD
Important: When you sign up to take the GRE, please list the following KU code and the GRE Center will send your scores to the KU Graduate Application Processing Center and CREES:
- University of Kansas institutional code – 6871