Most applicants to the REES program have completed an undergraduate major in the social sciences or humanities, but successful REES graduate students have come from other fields. While a student’s GPA and GRE (or LSAT) scores are helpful in determining his/her overall academic potential, the department uses a holistic approach toward admissions, looking at all elements of the application packet before making a decision (language preparation, transcripts, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, statement of intent). In the past, the average GPA has been above 3.28 and the GRE scores of successful MA applicants have been above-average (verbal, quantitative and analytical).
CREES accepts applications year-round on a rolling basis. For priority admission and to be considered for departmental funding, please submit all materials by January 1st.
It may be possible for students, especially FASt Track students, to begin their graduate programs off-cycle in the Spring or Summer semesters. Please contact us at email@example.com to discuss this option. You may find more information about sources of funding for eligible students here.
How to Apply
- Complete the KU Graduate School Online Application
- Payment of the application fee
$65 domestic applicants
$85 international applicants
Successful applications to the REES MA program will include the following materials:
- 2-page statement of educational and career goals
- 1 original transcript for all post-secondary education. Transcripts should be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to Graduate Admissions, 1450 Jayhawk Blvd, Strong Hall 313, Lawrence, KS 66045
- 3 letters of recommendation, each accompanied by the Graduate Letter of Recommendation Form
- Test Scores. Both GRE and LSAT accepted:
GRE - MA, FASt Track
LSAT - MA/JD
Important: When you sign up to take the GRE, please list the following KU code and the GRE Center will send your scores to the KU Graduate Application Processing Center and CREES:
University of Kansas institutional code – 6871
- International Students: all international applicants are required to provide proof of English Proficiency, often in the form of TOEFL scores (KU policy). If accepted into the REES MA program, all international students are required to check-in at the Applied English Center (AEC) upon arrival to the KU campus. At that time, AEC will confirm the student's level of English proficiency and determine if additional courses are required.