Admission Criteria and How to Apply
Most applicants to the REES program have completed an undergraduate major in the social sciences or humanities, but successful REES graduate students have come from other fields. While a student’s GPA and GRE scores are helpful in determining his/her overall academic potential, the department uses a holistic approach toward admissions, looking at all elements of the application packet before making a decision (language preparation, transcripts, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, statement of intent). In the past, the average GPA has been above 3.28 and the GRE scores of successful M.A. applicants have been above-average (verbal, quantitative and analytical).
For priority admission (and to be considered for funding) for FALL semester, please submit all materials by January 1st. It may be possible for students to begin the program off-cycle in the Spring or Summer semesters; please contact the Associate Director, Professor Renee Perelmutter firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss this option.
Please submit the following materials to the Graduate Application Processing Center (GAPC):
- An application form for admission to the Graduate School. This application may be completed via the Online Application.
- Payment of the application fee. (For the amount, check here. In summary, domestic is $55 and international is $65.) Payment may be made on-line by credit card or by electronic check. To pay by mail, please send a check or money order to GAPC.
Please submit the following materials to the Center for Russian, East European & Eurasian Studies (CREES):
- The application cover sheet, available here.
- A two-page statement of educational and professional objectives.
- One original transcript for all post-secondary education.
- Three letters of recommendation, each accompanied by the Graduate Letter of Recommendation Form
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores. (General test—verbal, quantitative, analytical writing—only). Specialized subject tests are not required.
Important: When you sign up to take the GRE, please list the following codes and the GRE Center will send your scores to CREES:
- University of Kansas institutional code – 6871
- CREES department code – 2201.